
George Krause has a way of bringing his nudes to life and into character in a unique and spectacularly surreal way. I feel like rarely do you see artful nude photography with a story, a real kind of narrative- not just a study of form and tones. This was definitely my favorite print at the recent Gallery 339 show, Philadelphia Masters. I kept going back to his work, although I found all of the participating artists just as interesting. It seemed that they all had a individual approach to photographically capturing dreams. It was different than most typically surreal photo work I've seen- you know, not at all Dali like- where everything seems to represent some kind of fear and it's all kind of overly illustrated- more so juxtaposed, unrelated, unannounced ideas- they make sense, you're not really sure why- although bizarre, they are comfortable and not confusing, as if in your very own dreams. Even the photos of statues were brought to life. Ruth Thorne Thompson's landscapes and Ray Metzker's double exposure/continued frames were also great examples of this odd dream like feel the show evoked.

No comments:
Post a Comment