8.29.2008

New Found Optimism, Rambling

I have so much rumbling around in my head about politics lately, but unlike Barack Obama, I am not too good at articulating these thoughts- so let me lay this down for you:

In case you missed Obama's DNC speech yesterday:


I watched it this morning, because I fell asleep last night. Wow, I think it nearly brought tears to my eyes! I have never felt quite this moved by politics, I never thought someone would even be running for office who believed whole heartedly in things that make sense, for everyone. Not only does Obama believe in total equality, but he knows changes and acceptance like this will be hard to make- he believes in stepping stones, and practical ways to get a message across to those who have led an ignorant (and/or republican...) past.

One of my favorite interviews with Obama, besides Rolling Stone's A Conversation with Barack Obama was with Pastor Rick Warren at Saddleback Church in Southern California. He asked the same questions to Obama and McCain seperately- Even if you don't agree with Obama you've got to admit- the man is a great guy, and wants just to inform- he puts his ideas on the table, articulates them well, and respects all opinions. One of my favorite things about him is he is completely and utterly self aware. I think it's fantastic. I think he represents what is on most people's minds right now, and all of the things we felt so let down about, so hopeless about, so disconnected from our government- it's time for someone to just start listening, and he has.

Part 1

Part 2


And if you'd like to see how McCain answered these same questions, basically just by answering "America! Yea!" to everything visit Parts 3 & 4

I remember when I didn't know a thing about John McCain, and honestly I had to dig deep to find out what he actually stands for. Of course what I found was that he doesn't believe in women's rights, he speaks exactly like George Bush, he could give a shit less about improving healthcare, and his whole campaign structure is based on attack and the general assumption Obama=Britney Spears (as if this was the 7th grade lunch table, and John- I'm pretty sure Britney was Republican, so good job losing that vote). The only thing I've heard him talk about passionately is "taking Osama Bin Laden to the depths of Hell", he doesn't talk realistically about any issue at hand. His selected VP, Sarah Palin, must feel like such shit knowing the only reason he chose her is because she is his last hope, and only because she's got a set of boobs. His efforts to save this are already so contrived.

Don't mess this one up America, if not for you think of the generations to come. Think of your children, your grandchildren and everyone who needs this change now to put our futures on track. We need to move forward, we need to own our rights. For the cynics, and terrible groups like Hilary Supporters 4 McCain- please, there is only one choice.

So I leave you with this:

No comments: